Cocktails + Libations = Cocktations

If you are wondering what a cocktation is, yours is a valid question. Cocktation is in fact a made-up word that tumbled from my mouth one day when I was trying to say the word concoction. That nifty little neologism was the seed idea for this blog, and here we both are today.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Highway 40/64 Grand Reopening Celebration Cocktail

Nearly every St. Louisan knows that for the past 2 years (or nearly that long) our beloved Highway 40 (or 64/40 as the powers that be are trying to get us to call it) has been closed for major repair and reconstruction. But on Monday, December 7th, 2009 the new highway will re-open. Thus, on the preceding Sunday, December 6th, there will be a grand celebration on the new stretch of highway, including a 5K race, and people will be permitted to walk and ride bikes on the highway before the ribbon cutting ceremony at 3pm.

For those planning to rise early next Sunday and brave the cold winter weather for the 5K, I believe a hot toddy is in order. Therefore, I have put my creative cocktail juices to work on a 40/64 toddy befitting of this chilly, yet momentous occasion. The following recipe lists ingredients and proportions for a single one-cup serving, but I recommend making it in larger batches and keeping it hot in a thermos. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my 40/64 toddy! [insert applause here]

Highway 40/64 Toddy
3 oz camomile tea
4 oz apple cider
Simmer both for a few minutes with a cinnamon stick, a few allspice berries, a few cloves, and one small piece of candied ginger. Then add...
1.5 oz Applejack
1 tsp honey
1/4 oz Marteau absinthe (you could also use Duplais, Pacifique, or Clandestine)
Serve in a mug with a touch of freshly grated nutmeg on top, or if necessary to stave off freezing temperatures, drink directly from a thermos.

If you see me next weekend at the 40/64 Grand Opening, I will neither confirm nor deny that this beverage is in my thermos.

Cheers! ~Dr. Cocktation

No comments:

Post a Comment