Cocktails + Libations = Cocktations

If you are wondering what a cocktation is, yours is a valid question. Cocktation is in fact a made-up word that tumbled from my mouth one day when I was trying to say the word concoction. That nifty little neologism was the seed idea for this blog, and here we both are today.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Maita'i roa ae!

It is a beautiful STL evening in November, following a 70+ degree sunny Fall day. Last weekend I snagged my first bottle of Fee Bros Orgeat and so tonight I am celebrating the end of a gorgeous and productive day with a Mai Tai. I used Robert Hess' [aka Drinkboy's] recipe, but found I needed just a tad more sweetness present. My own recipe (a riff on Drinkboy's) follows.

1 oz Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
1 oz Appleton Estates Rum
1/2 oz key lime juice
1/2 oz Luxardo Triple Sec
3/4 oz Fee Bros Orgeat
1 cherry (frozen from Trader Joes, not a soulless maraschino cherry)
1 orange slice

Shake all liquid ingredients (including lime shells) over ice and strain into an iced low-ball glass. Garnish with cherry and orange slice. Ideally, add a sprig of enlivened (smack it between your palms) fresh mint (which I do have access to in my back yard, but am too lazy to go out and get).

Cheers! ~Dr. Cocktation

1 comment: